Tuesday 12 February 2013

Sixties inspired rag rug

Been cracking on with my rag rug tonight - as a result, my right wrist is rather painful...

The piece on the left is not yet connected. The two new pods from today are made of plain cotton, and don't have the sheen of the satin.

The rug is being crocheted from a kingsize duvet cover someone gave me; it has a pleated satin side and a smooth cotton side, both in the same rich red. I'm stitching them together as I go with shiny ribbon yarn my lovely sister gave me.

Making Rag Yarn:
I'm ripping it into 1/2 inch wide strips, and joining them by making a slit in both ends of each, then passing the end of piece B through the hole in piece A... then passing the other end of piece B through the hole in piece B I've just shoved through piece A and pulling tight. I usually rip off about 12 strips and join them up, rolling them into a ball as I go, then I have a nice neat ball to keep the cat off, rather than a hank of strips she can steal from!

No comments:

Post a Comment