Sunday 10 February 2013

Celtique I


Celtique I

*insert up own arse prose here about returning to one's celtic roots*






So I'm not entirely sure whether this will survive drying out, let alone the kiln... but here's hoping.

It's a celtic knot, based on 5 strands - as far as I know, it's not a real knot (see what I did there?) as I suspect it's a bit too lopsided for any self respecting Celt. I built it from strips of rolled out clay, weaving them into a glass bowl to begin with, and then when (due to extremely bad planning) the blasted thing was draping all over... I balanced it on a card sheet with a hole in it gaffer taped to the outside of the bowl.

Next time I'll try a) designing the flipping knot first and b) building a ridiculous structure to hold the sides BEFORE the edges start falling all over.

That is if this one survives drying out. And the flipping kiln. And glazing. And the flipping kiln again. And me carrying it around. Who am I kidding... there will never be another!

And in other news... the windchime is back in the kiln, sponged with various autumnal underglazes and then brushed with overglaze rather than dipping (I'm hoping like hell this will mean it is a thin coat - minimising drips and support marks, while still making it stronger and shinier).

No comments:

Post a Comment